Thursday, March 24, 2011

women inspire

Women are interesting creatures and have inspired so many facets of our lives, whether through art - culture - perspective- etc. I had a discussion with a woman in her 60s a few year ago. She said how repulsed she was by marilyn monroe aka norma jean. too flashy, too into men, too out there.  Honestly, it took every fiber in my body to keep my mouth shut.. i am opinionated.. nothing new there..

With elizabeth taylor's recent passing, I got to thinking of her public persona  - married a gaziliion times, husband stealing from her best friend.. but I also got to thinking about her gorgeous gazing eyes, her acting ability in a time when acting wasn't a serious medium as it is today, her extensive
support to the AIDS community... and I thought about those before her.. jean harlow, marilyn, betty page, etc.

Then, I thought of that conversation that I had with that woman and began to feel sorry for her..  these women were INFLUENTIONAL - was she threatened by their confidence to express themselves in a time where that wasn't socially exceptable?

Now we marry later, put off having children, focus on self satisfaction -- in a healthy way, make our own money, find our own paths, explore our own interests, tell our own stories, love when its right.. not just because we need to be married to 'survive', but because we want to engage in a fufilling relationship !
with my thoughts being said, I admire elizabeth taylor and all the ladies before her.. before photoshop.. these were the real natural beautiful women that have defined our zeitgeist.. and for that I AM THANKFUL





1 comment:

  1. please ignore my inability to catch my grammar/spelling errors - I type fast and forget to go back! :)

    ReplyDelete